The Making of Hong Kong Principals' Institute (HKPI)
Learning, Leading, Synergising, Serving
The Hong Kong Principals’ Institute (HKPI) is a professional body of Hong Kong school principals in pursuance of excellence in educational leadership. It is established after an extensive study by a group of dedicated Hong Kong principals, in wide consultation with their fellow principals, academia, educators and local and overseas principal organizations. HKPI believes that through enhancing educational leadership, it will bring significant and sustained contribution to the education system in Hong Kong.
The HKPI is established with the vision of cultivating excellence in educational leadership based on a set of core educational values and best practices.
The mission of HKPI is to enhance professionalism of the principals, and to promote excellence in leadership and quality school practice for the betterment of education and society at large.
To achieve the mission, the HKPI will:
1. foster a vibrant learning community of principals of all schools in Hong Kong;
2. advance the professionalism of its members by providing learning as well as educational service opportunities for them;
3. advocate professional and ethical practice in educational leadership;
4. develop a PCF (Principal Capabilities Framework) which sets out the capability requirements of the principals;
5. promote the study of leadership practice in education;
6. network with local, national and international principal organizations as well as educational institutions and authorities;
7. establish connections with other professional bodies in the non-education sectors;
8. give views on educational policies and
9. advocate values for social, cultural and educational advancement.
The endeavors of the HKPI are to be guided by the following underlying principles:
1. Professional autonomy
The HKPI will maintain professional autonomy.
Its decisions will be made collectively by members. Through members’ active participation in various sub-committees and involvement in the delivery of programs, the HKPI will operate with transparency and input from members.
2. Accountability and sustainability
The HKPI is to be accountable to the profession and the larger community and thus to support its members in their endeavors to serve their school stakeholders in a responsible manner. It will seek sustainability in its operation and development. The governance, resources and funding of the PI will follow sound management principles.
3. Collegiality, collaboration and partnership
The HKPI will abide by the principles of collegiality, collaboration and partnership in all its dealings including professional development programs and practices.
Interim Organization and Functions
The HKPI is a self-funded charitable institution. It welcomes and invites participation of all Hong Kong principals (whether serving, retired and former) and vice-principals of kindergarten, primary, secondary and special schools in all its events, programs and committee work. It is initially run by a management committee.
Its activities include running mentoring programs for new principals, sharing seminars, professional programs and conferences for principals and vice-principals, carrying out research, and issuing publications and newsletters.
To sustain its operation, the HKPI may collect publication subscription fees and program or conference fees when appropriate, and it also welcomes donations and sponsorship.
Councilors of HKPI (2019-2020)
Founders' List 香港校長中心創會會員(2012)